The Electron Microscopy (EM) Unit at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Zürich has a long history dating back to its founding in 1973. Initially established as a service laboratory, the unit was located at the Institute of Virology and was run by its members for the first two years. Later on, Peter Wild and his team took over the management of the laboratory.
Over the years, the EM Unit has upgraded its equipment to stay at the forefront of electron microscopy technology. In 1993, the unit replaced its Philips 201 microscope with a Philips CM12 STEM, which included a Gatan multiscan CCD camera and a Gatan Digiscan. In 2005, the Digiscan was replaced by a Gatan Ultrascan 1000, further improving the laboratory's imaging capabilities.
In 2008, Peter Wild retired, and the EM Unit was taken over by the Institutes of Veterinary Anatomy and Virology. Despite this change in management, the unit continues to provide high-quality electron microscopy services to researchers in various scientific disciplines.
Prof. Dr. Mariusz Pawel Kowalewski
Direktor of Vet. Anatomy
+41 44 635 87 84
Prof. Dr. Cornel Fraefel
Director of Virology
+ 41 44 635 87 13
+41 44 635 87 91
Prof. Dr. Peter Wild
+ 41 44 635 87 29
Schraner Elisabeth Maria
The Electron Microscopy Lab is situated on the first floor of the Institute of Virology (Building TPV). To gain access, kindly reach out to the administration office located at the entrance.